Fish curry with cauliflower rice
Serves 2 – 4
Ok, so this little number is a particular fave of mine and the Mrs as it’s pretty quick and damn tasty! (Even if I do say so myself).
– 2 heaped tble spoons of turmeric
– 1 level tble spoon cinnamon
– 1-2 tins of coconut cream
– 2 level tble spoons of coconut oil
– 1-2 onions
– 2-4 cloves of garlic
– fillet of fish (white fish preferred such as plaice or cod)
– 1 large cauliflower
– cashew nuts
– 1 tble spoon of coconut flour
– extra virgin olive oil or butter
– tea spoon of pepper
– tea spoon chilli
1. Chop onions and garlic, place to one side.
2. Chop fish into rough chunks
3. Heat the coconut oil on a low to medium heat. When melted, add spices (chilly (optional!) turmeric and cinnamon)and mix together. ( I like to load up on the turmeric due to its anti inflammatory properties, if you wanted a sweater taste, increase the cinnamon. The cinnamon can help to balance your blood sugars by the way as well as offering a source of fibre, calcium and antioxidants).
4. Add onions and garlic and heat for 3-4 mins (or until onion is translucent).
5. Add the fish and cook until fish is nearly cooked through, (depending on how long you have to allow it to sit a simmer in a low heat will dictate how much you want to cook the fish initially, ie less time – cook right through).
6. Add coconut milk. If you wish add nuts and courgette for extra flavour. Also add the coconut flour SLOWLY, this will thicken up the curry but can happen very quickly!
7. Place on low heat, cover and simmer for 5 – 20 mins depending on time and taste buds!
8. Meanwhile wash and cut cauliflower into large chunks. Steam for around 10-12 mins. Remove, run under cold water (to save your hands!) and grate with cheese grater. Add a pepper and chunk of butter or liberally drizzle extra virgin olive oil if you wish for added flavour and health dose of nutritious fats!
Serve and enjoy!